REPAIR and DIY are scary concepts to many of us but with the world economy in a downturn it is a clear and obvious way to save a great deal of money.
The average labour bill from a garden tool repair workshop can be £30 HR plus call out plus spare parts and this can quickly add up to a large bill.
The best time to check your lawnmower for wear and tear is out of season when not in use (winter).
Think of your lawnmower as two units, the chassis and the engine (or electric motor), you need to keep and eye on both. Common engine faults often relate to the fuel and oil. Common chassis faults are often related to physical damage.
The lawnmower engine:
- Always use clean fuel from a clean container – any dirt will break your engine
- Always check your engine oil – it is quick and easy to check your dipstick to see the oil level is between the high and low marker lines
- The lawnmower chassis:
- The common parts are the blade, push handle, control cables and wheels.
- Blade – this must be sharp to otherwise it will strain your engine and pull at the grass rather than making a clean cut. You can resharpen your blade with a file
- Cables – you can squirt aerosol light oil like WD40 onto the cables to help them last longer.
What if i find something that is worn of broken?
1- Identify your lawnmower – what is the make and model of the Engine? (engine powered mowers only) – what is the make and model of the Lawnmower?
2- Identify the part as Chassis or Engine component
– the Engine will have its own unique identifying data plate showing model code and serial number. This is often stamped into the engine metal work.
– the Chassis will have its own unique identifying data plate showing model code and serial number. This is often on a silver badge or sticker near the rear wheel.
Common UK Lawnmower Brand Makes:
Mountfield, Honda, Qualcast, Flymo, Castel,Garden, MTD, Hayter, Atco, Bosch
Common Engine Brand Makes:
Briggs and Stratton, Honda, GGP, Sumec Linhai, Robin, Kawasaki, Kubota
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/John_Chamjet/898482